Saturday, February 25, 2012

just add water

Have you heard about the recent news from PepsiCo? The company has reported unusually strong results for the last quarter of 2011. ...revenue was up 14 percent and profits grew seven percent. (source)

What's the secret for this recent success?

Just add water!

Yep, the company rolled out a new strategy in their juice product line, "Trop50," a line of juices that have been diluted with water to make the beverage lower in calories.

Smart move on PepsiCo's part. Some people are just too lazy to dilute their morning glass of juice themselves, and anything with half the calories is sure to make it into your cart, right?

Before this news even rolled out earlier this week, I had planned to write something similar about coconut milk. I have been on a cooking kick using coconut milk this week (amazing recipes to come!) and when I pick it up at HyVee I have a HUGE variety to choose from, sometimes my mind just can't handle the decision...

Coconut Milk01160CF

I knew previously that light coconut milk is just a watered down version of the full fat can, but the other day, as I was reaching for a few cans on the bottom shelf, I was curious as to the price for each.

$2.19 (or so) for the regular version.
$2.19 (or so) for the light version.

So here's a kitchen tip for you - next time you are reaching for that can of lite coconut milk, do yourself and your wallet a favor and grab the full-fat (gasp!) variety. When you get home, divide its contents between two jars and...

Just add water! 

BAM! Two cans of lite coconut milk for the price of one.

Happy Saturday Morning! It is time for me to bury my nose into this thick text book that has been begging for me to crack it open all week and start reading up on muscle and muscle tissue.

1 comment: