Sunday, July 14, 2013

garlic harvest

IMG_3297IMG_3299IMG_3304

Come now, do not start calling my Farmer Kier, for that would be silly.

I am feeling pretty pleased with my garlic growing skills though. I mean, not everyone can plant garlic cloves in the fall and then dig them up the next summer. That is a skill, my friend, that is inherited, not learned. (Apparently my Grandpa decided not to pass on his beet growing abilities to me, humrphf.).

If I remember correctly, I planted 40 cloves last fall, and today I harvested 30 bulbs. That is a solid "C" if you care to grade my first garlic harvest. Not too shabby, not too shabby at all.

2 comments:

  1. I was just reading a book this weekend about how you plant the cloves in the fall and pull them up the next year....had no idea that is how it was done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! Super easy, I wish I would have started planting garlic years ago!

      Delete