Wednesday, November 13, 2013

april road trip

This post should have been done almost two months ago. Funny how life gets in the way of something so important.

Scratch that - this post should have been done 7 months ago..........

****

Monday, April 15th marked the 10 year anniversary of my dad passing away from cancer.

The date had been on my mind for years.

I wanted to do some grand gesture.

My first goal, after doing some date checking a few years ago, was to qualify for and run the Boston Marathon. I was 2 minutes to slow to go. My dreams were crushed, but perhaps this was a blessing in disguise?

My second goal was to run for 10 hours and raise $10,000 to donate to the American Cancer Society.

$10,000 is a lot.

10 hours is a long time.

Scratch that.

I could go visit my sister in Stockholm. She was in Berlin.
I could go visit my brother in Georgia. He was in Arizona.

Taking a moment to come up with a new idea, something clicked.

I have spent the last 10 years of my life devoted to honoring my dad. 

Everyday I work to fight a disease that took his life. Everyday I work with volunteers to raise hundreds of thousands of dollars to invest in research, programming and resources. Everyday I hear sad stories of family members lost to cancer, and happy stories of a family member winning their 3rd battle with cancer.

While I might not think of my dad everyday, it is because of him that I do what I do.

I think that is a pretty grand gesture.

With that in mind, new ideas emerged.

A 150 mile bike trip along the Root River Trail. This was going to be the perfect way to spend a long weekend with my husband, doing what we love, while adding in a few things that reminded me of dad.

All set and ready to go, the weather took a turn and the forecast went from sunny and warm to cold and snow.

Again we went back to the drawing board, mapping out different plans for a 4 day weekend, calculating miles, hours on the road, and our level of craziness.

In the end, we put pen to paper and jotted down a few things that had to be accomplished for the weekend. We would use this list to dictate what we did, where we went, all while having few expectations.

The perfect road trip formed. Taking us from Iowa to Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota and back to Iowa. From ruebens piled high with homemade corned beef, to interesting pizza, crappy cookies, and perfect vodka sours. We laughed out loud, danced in the car, and walked 4 miles too long with no socks. 4 states, many miles, and lots of memories. This was the perfect way to reconnect with the one I love most while celebrating a man that I miss terribly.

Road. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Nic and Kier.

Wait - that's all wrong.

But it was the perfect way to kick off our voyage.

IMG_2699   IMG_2700 IMG_2701
IMG_2696

Cuddled together on the floor of our home, we connected to Hulu and watched the first episode of Star Trek The Next Generation - a long time family favorite. Or at least - a long time favorite of Dad's that us kids begrudgingly watched on whatever night it aired for oh so many years. 


IMG_2702IMG_2703
IMG_2706IMG_2707

We hit the road early the next morning with our ever growing list of things to accomplish.


IMG_2710

IMG_2718
Less than 2 hours in to our trip, we crossed one thing off our list, getting lost, or taking the scenic route as Dad use to tell us as he drove down dirt roads trying to find the cabin we would stay at for a summer vacation.

IMG_2720

IMG_2724

IMG_2725

IMG_2727
A few great views and a made up song or two by Nic, we found the way back to where we needed to be. Getting lost = so much fun.

IMG_2730

IMG_2735
Augustana College, my alma matter - but wait? We are in Illinois - I went to Augie in South Dakota (interesting fact, I went to college in the town that my dad was born in, Sioux Falls).

IMG_2739IMG_2740IMG_2741
A quick stop in Le Claire, Iowa for some shopping, antiquing, and liquor tasting.

IMG_2746 
Where does the sidewalk end? Apparently in Le Claire, Iowa!

IMG_2754

IMG_2764IMG_2765
IMG_2768
I found my family's heritage! Although you might not know it, I have some Kickapoo genes in me thanks to my dad's family. 1/64 or 1/128...it might not be much though.

IMG_2771IMG_2776
This is how you dance in the car.

IMG_2781
We must have been listening to some Tom Petty?

IMG_2778
Detour to take a photo of my dream barn!

The first day we drove to La Crosee, WI to stay with my step sister and her family - it was a great stop and necessary, as any road trip wouldn't be complete without car troubles. We had planned to drive to Madison the following morning, but considered reconsidering so we could fix our car. Thankfully my brother-in-law was a gem and let us borrow his car while he fixed ours - how awesome is that?

So we head out for Madison super early, so we could grab breakfast before watching a live taping of NPR's Whad' Ya KNow, one of our favorite weekend programs.

IMG_2793IMG_2794

And then we walked around Madison, for far too long, in the sleet, without socks.

IMG_2795IMG_2798IMG_2799

Totally worth it. Especially after I stopped at a bike shop to buy some socks and then committed a cardinal sin - wearing socks with sandals.

IMG_2801IMG_2802

Best part of the weekend - this Ruben from Stalzy's Deli. Go there now. Super delicious.

IMG_2806
Sign we were in the right spot - Hubbard Ave. Hubbard was Dad's middle name.

IMG_2811
But his middle name might as well have been Car Talk.

IMG_2812
The super funny (sarcasm?) program that us kids were forced to listen to on our way down to visit our grandparents. Ironically enough, I always listen to it on the weekend now.

IMG_2819IMG_2821IMG_2822IMG_2824
Historic markers anyone? Another favorite road trip past time.

On Sunday, we made our way to Grand Meadow to have lunch with my dad's family a the new winery. They were generous to work with me in advance and had them make a few of Dad's favorite pizza combination for everyone - shrimp and sauerkraut. Interesting. And strangely really good! 

IMG_2828IMG_2830
Dad would have to order his own pizza with this toppings every single time we went to our favorite hole-in-the-wall pizza place where we grew up. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole then.

IMG_2831IMG_2833IMG_2835

Despite the rain, we all headed out to the cemetery for a vodka sour toast.

IMG_2840IMG_2841IMG_2842IMG_2844IMG_2847IMG_2848
This, was my favorite part of the weekend.

IMG_2856
Dad's brothers Tom and Kelly, me, sister-in-law Julie, sister Tracy and brother-in-law Mark.

IMG_2872

On Monday, Nic and I headed North a bit to have lunch at Little Oscar's - another hole-in-the-wall diner that we would stop at once in  a while for breakfast.

IMG_2876IMG_2878
IMG_2883IMG_2884IMG_2886

We meandered our way back to Iowa and made it to Iowa City just in time for a cocktail class at Devotay.

IMG_2899
IMG_2900IMG_2901

Cheers to a fabulous weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Kier, this really resonated with me. I lost my dad a few years ago and understand the great sense of loss. I also have two young daughters... the importance of the relationship that a father has with his children, especially his daughters, isn't lost on me. I can only imagine how proud your father would be knowing that you're honoring him all these years later.

    ReplyDelete