Wednesday, July 20, 2011

in my garden

From this...

IMG_6860

To this (May 20)...
IMG_6880IMG_6881

To this (today)!
IMG_7933IMG_7932

My garden is really coming along (I think!). Each day that I take the time to walk through the rows to pull a few weeds, I get a little giddy seeing the fruits of my labor paying off...in vegetables!

I pulled Nic outside today so ecstatic to show him the cucumbers that are growing. Seriously people, I will reiterate, that these things we usually buy at HyVee or the Farmers Markets are growing in my garden!

Let's take a tour, shall we?

IMG_7918
Green tomatoes, lots of green tomatoes.

IMG_7919IMG_7921
Hairy sweet corn and itty bitty baby bell peppers (I think my boss might have been right when she warned me that the huge tomato plants might block out too much sun for these guys).

IMG_7922
Salsa...er, I mean roma tomatoes (for now!).

IMG_7923IMG_7924
Banana peppers and an almost ripe for the picking cherry tomato.

IMG_7925IMG_7928
Jalapenos and maybe a baby eggplant? I should really look to see how long eggplants take to mature.

IMG_7926
Maybe I will get some more HUGE squash!?

IMG_7927IMG_7930
Our row of corn and a cucumber (go ahead and giggle).

IMG_7931
More cucumbers! One of these guys will become a FOOD experiment this weekend (mind out of the gutter people!). Can you say tzatziki hummus??

Let's not forget about the basil!

IMG_7914

I spent about 30 minutes picking this huge bowl of basil leaves this morning. The plants were starting to flower, so I thought it was about time to give them a good cut. I love basil. I plan on making tons of pesto, and chopping the basil up and freezing it in ice cube trays covered in water.

IMG_7916
Mmmmm....basil.

This was the first tomato that we ate from our garden. I accidently knocked it off the plant a few days ago when it was still green. Its been busy ripening in our window sill. We split it last night. One bite each.

IMG_7882
I love tomatoes right from the garden (or window sill in this case). Mmmm mmmm good!

The big picture...

IMG_7933

Picture 15

IMG_7932

Picture 14

If a tornado comes through this weekend (after I pick all of the veggies that are ready beforehand) and destroys the garden, I will still consider it a resounding success. I mean come on:

I grew food.

And ate it.

And it was good.

And life is good.



Garden recap:

7 comments:

  1. Its looking great! And I love the fact you have a little chart with the entire garden plotted out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The garden looks great! And the basil--scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, my mind was in the gutter despite your warnings :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! I would definitely love to be able to have a garden someday (apartment living doesn't make this very easy). I was just telling my husband I would at least like to maybe do a small herb garden since we have a small backyard. I hope it's not too late to attempt to get some use out of it for the remainder of the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden looks great! I always want to plant one, but I have never gotten around to it. Maybe next year will be my year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden looks amazing - you are doing great! Was that one tomato just absolutely delish? We love the tomatoes from our garden :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! It looks awesome, and next year will be even better.

    ReplyDelete