Wednesday, September 8, 2010

a perfect wednesday afternoon

Today was pretty much the perfect day.  Weather was gorgeous, got some stuff done for work, snuck in a great run & walk with the pup, ate a delicious dinner and experimented on dessert.  My only problem is that it's already 10:30PM (now 11:15!!) and I am still up!  Looks like I'll be skipping my morning run in favor of an afternoon run tomorrow!

My Run::
On the schedule was 4 miles.  I decided to do the same route as last Wednesday's 4 miler (an out and back) and was determined to come out with negative splits - like last Wednesday as well.

Stats:
mile 1 - 7:53
mile 2 - 7:35
mile 3 - 7:27
mile 4 - 7:19
cool down (.41) - 7:10 <----walking
Total distance: 4:41 miles
Total time: 37:23
Average pace: 8:29

Whoop!  Pretty much rocked that one out!  After seeing my two mile split, I wasn't sure if I could manage the negative splits...so I focused and channeled my inner high school athlete-self, along with two people who have had huge roles in my running "career" - bff Nancy and high school track coach, Gorham.


Yup, I for sure imagined them standing somewhere in the corn fields yelling at me and telling me to run faster. :)  Totally worked.  Now if I could only get the two of them down to Oklahoma for my marathon in November I have no doubt I would qualify for Boston...

Our Walk::
After my glorious run, the hubs and I took the pup for a walk and continued our discussion on all the stuff in our house that we want to get rid of.  I think by the end of our Fall cleaning, we will be able fit all of our possessions into a shoebox! :)

Dinner::
Before heading out for my run, I threw dinner in the oven. On the menu for tonight was the Pioneer Woman's Beer Braised Beef with Onions.  I made a few alterations, but nothing life-changing.  Holy delicious!  The meat literally melted in your mouth.

We served this up with a side of coconut oil & thyme roasted carrots and potatoes.  Also delicious.

Dessert::
I picked up some cute little, almost local, apples today at Hy-Vee and the cooler temps were urging me to make apple pie.  We don't keep any form of butter in the house (or we rarely have it) so I was forced/inspired to come up with a butterless crust on my own.

Apple Pie 3

For the crust I used:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup oats
1/2 cup oats that have been pulsed in the food processor about 10 times
1/2 t salt
1 T packed brown sugar (could have been 1 t - can't read my writing!)
4 T coconut oil
5 T iced water

To make the crust, mix the first five ingredients. Cut in the coconut oil (the temps here are cool enough where my coconut oil was pretty much solid) and then stir in, one tablespoon at a time, the iced water until dough forms into a ball.  Chill in fridge while you get the apples ready.

For the "innards" I used:
3 small apples - thinly sliced
1 t cinnamon
1/8 t nutmeg
1 T cornstarch
1 T maple syrup

Mix the first 4 ingredients and stir in maple syrup.

In a greased glass 1 quart serving dish, push 3/4 of the dough around the bottom and edges to form a crust.  Fill with apples and somehow manage to create a top with the rest of the dough...

Bake at 350 for 1+ hours.

Apple Pie 4

Results - the pie was really actually quite good!  The apples were perfectly seasoned and cooked.  The crust was a bit on the crumbly side, which I knew before I baked it, but had good flavor.  The recipe for sure needs some tweaking and with apple season upon us, I am sure I'll have ample opportunity to do just that. Next time I will for sure add a few more tablespoons of water, a bit more sugar (or maple syrup?) and maybe some cinnamon to the dough.

Apple Pie 6

Apple Pie 1

Hmmm....now that it is already 11:15PM, I must hit the hay and catch some Zzzzzs, after reading a few pages of the eery book, The Passage.

No comments:

Post a Comment